Hospice of the East Bay (HEB) is a community-based program of home care for terminally ill patients. Care is given to patients and families by an interdisciplinary group. Bereavement care is provided to the family for one year after the death. Hospice services are given regardless of ability to pay, making the agency dependent on donations and insurance billing to meet operating expenses.
Reporting to the Manager, Business Development, this position is primarily responsible for marketing Hospice of the East Bay's services by assessing potential patients in the acute care setting, and providing education to clinical staff in the hospital, office, skilled nursing, residential care and assisted living facility settings. The Health Care Nurse Liaison will respond to all HEB referrals and will be available to make presentations to professional and community groups. The incumbent may also perform onsite assessments of the patient and family for appropriateness of Hospice Services.
- Responds to referrals from physicians, Discharge Planners and Intake staff in an expedient manner and completes onsite evaluations at hospitals for admission to Bruns House or home program.
- Serves as hospice resource to the medical community, patients and families.
- Collaborates with physicians, interviews and consults with patient and families to determine the interest and/or appropriateness for services.
- Receives and documents verbal and written physician orders, obtains signatures on consent forms and required documents from patients/patient representative, physicians.
- Provides updates within 24 hours to physicians and referring agencies regarding specific patients.
- Facilitates insurance verification process through interface with HEB Medical Billing Specialist.
- Provides in-services to staff in acute/sub-acute and residential care settings. Attending licensed staff may receive CEU's.
- Participates in general community education efforts through speaking engagements or presence at community events, health fairs and network meetings.
- Offers suggestions for alternative community resources for patients ineligible for hospice services.
- Assists in the distribution of printed material and other Business Development tools.
- Evaluates medical community needs and informs management of trends in patient care.
- Assists in developing and maintaining policies and procedures relating to the community education team.
- Serves as liaison between Bruns House and Teams I, II, III as patients are transferred between a home program and the inpatient facility.
- Participates in quality improvement activities related to areas of practice as appropriate.
- Plans, schedules and manages all activities independently; maintains a flexible time schedule to meet the needs of the medical community; maintains a daily record of all activities, inquiries and requested services, and produces requested reports in a timely manner.
- Performs other duties as assigned consistent with skills and training and the mission and goals of the agency.
- Attends agency meetings and staff development activities.
- Ensures compliance with all state, federal, JCAHO and other accrediting agency regulations and standards.
- Sound clinical judgment and critical thinking ability.
- Able to effectively handle sensitive clinical situations.
- Self-motivated with a high degree of initiative, flexibility, and professional integrity.
- Ability to form harmonious professional relationships with internal and external customers.
- Desire to exceed customer expectations.
- Strong verbal communication, written documentation and organizational skills.
- Familiar with current health care systems, treatment modalities and Medicare and MediCal regulations.
- Must be able to work well under pressure, meeting multiple and sometimes competing deadlines, demands and changing priorities.
- Must demonstrate cooperative behavior in all interactions.
- Must be flexible with work assignments and professional when dealing with clients and colleagues.
- Must adhere to departmental goals, objectives and performance standards.