Rochester Area Community Foundation
Rochester Area Community Foundation, one of the largest grant-making organizations in the Finger Lakes region, wants to add an experienced and enthusiastic Philanthropic Advisor to the newly created Philanthropic Engagement department. We are looking for a team player who loves working with people, proactively solving problems, and has a strong belief in the power of philanthropy — collectively and individually. The Philanthropic Advisor will manage a portfolio of 150 to 200 high net worth individuals and actively participate in the Community Foundation’s strategic efforts to increase the community’s endowment to help address our region’s pressing problems today and into the future. Caring for and nurturing our donors and prospective donors is a hallmark of our work, so the Advisor needs to enjoy writing thank-you notes, sending cards, and touching base frequently in person or by phone. Working in the philanthropic world is rewarding and often quite fun. Won’t you join us?
Key Responsibility Area: Philanthropic Engagement
Individual Donor Portfolio Management - 60%
- Manage a portfolio of approximately 150-200 high-level ($100,000 and more) major gift prospects, using a focused and accountable approach of strategy development and implementation. A significant portion of these prospects will be managed for senior staff, primarily the Vice President, Philanthropic Engagement, who will serve as the primary donor liaison.
- Set and meet both annual giving and Endowment Initiative gift objectives for each prospective donor under management.
- Develop and implement strategic engagement plans that include the cultivation, solicitation and stewardship of all assigned prospective donors.
- Personally solicit, or support solicitation efforts by volunteers or other staff, an agreed upon percentage of the portfolio on behalf of the Endowment Initiative.
- Involve assigned prospective donors in the life, mission and priorities of the Foundation.
- Become knowledgeable about various current and planned gift instruments and their application to assist donors in fulfilling their philanthropic vision and reaching their full giving potential on behalf of the Rochester area community.
Total Donor Portfolio Management and Oversight - 40%
- Ensure all documentation of initiatives taken by staff manager and other RACF staff is accurate and current within the database for portfolio. Maintain a reporting structure that allows for the consistent tracking of activity and the generation of reports to manage and monitor activity within the total portfolio.
- Work with the prospect researcher to ensure the ongoing inflow of new prospective donors that have been pre-qualified via research. Ensure that the total portfolio is regularly refreshed and updated, that names are removed from active management when appropriate, and that new prospective donors are assigned and engagement strategies are developed in a timely manner.
- Work with the events coordinator and other staff to develop a series of strategic engagement opportunities that are directly aimed at engaging prospective donors in the philanthropic life of the community and the Foundation and encouraging philanthropic support.
- Work with Endowment Initiative volunteers to manage solicitation and cultivation assignments for top prospective donors.
- Ensure gifts received by the Foundation are appropriately documented and are used in accordance with the donor’s intent as initially agreed upon within the gift agreement instrument.
- Coordinate with senior program staff to ensure that donors are engaged in program areas that are meaningful to them and that they receive regular communication regarding the Foundation’s initiatives in areas that directly impact the donor’s particular interest areas.
- Network with professional advisors, particularly the next generation of up and coming advisors, to share the mission of the foundation.
- Work with the Wayne County Community Endowment volunteers and help to develop and implement strategies to grow the endowment.
- Work with donors and prospective donors in other counties served by the Community Foundation as assigned by the Senior Philanthropic Advisor and the Vice President, Philanthropic Engagement.
- Education: Bachelor’s Degree
- Experience: Minimum 5 years in major gifts fundraising, portfolio management, project management, sales or other related professions
- In-depth experience using Microsoft Word and Excel. Willingness to learn FIMS custom software database
- Skills: The candidate must have experience in proactively managing prospective donor relationships and a comfort working with high net worth individuals. This position is responsible for ensuring communication and contacts with donors and prospective donors are undertaken in a timely and appropriate manner, and must be comfortable managing up to senior staff members and volunteers who will be responsible for implementing strategies with their assigned prospective donors. Must be comfortable having one-on-one gift discussions, including direct solicitation, and have an understanding of various gift vehicles including multi-year commitments, wills, trusts and other planned gift instruments. A proven track record in managing fundraising volunteers is preferred.
- Personal Characteristics: Candidate will be highly motivated and self-directed. The candidate must demonstrate energy, flexibility, humor, have an excellent attitude and a desire to make team efforts succeed. This position requires the candidate to demonstrate a belief in philanthropy and a commitment to community. Candidates must be able to work evenings and weekends as needed. Some travel will be required.
- Candidates must have exceptional customer service skills.
- Candidates must be able to work evenings and weekends as needed.
- Must have reliable transportation.
- Driver’s license in good standing.
Starting Salary Range: $53,000-$60,000, contingent on experience
In support of the Americans with Disabilities Act, this job description lists only those responsibilities and qualifications deemed essential to the position.
Rochester Area Community Foundation is an Equal Opportunity Employer