Business Development Intern
Muscular Dystrophy Association
The Business Development Intern is an unpaid internship working with and reporting to the Muscular Dystrophy Association's National Volunteer Program Team. The successful intern will be hard-working, responsible, respectful and self-driven as well as possess a positive attitude, strong communication skills, initiative, and an interest in volunteerism.
He/She will join a dynamic team of nonprofit professionals to assist in increasing volunteer recruitment and engagement both in the Chicagoland area and across the country. This will be a fantastic opportunity to gain experience in a professional office, exposure to the nonprofit and volunteerism industries, volunteer involvement at MDA's offices and MDA events, such as Summer Camp, MDA Engage Educational Events, Advocacy, MDA Family programs, and more. Professional development will be at the forefront as interns will receive onboarding, training and continued coaching from MDA staff. This individual will also be responsible for creating a final project and portfolio throughout the internship to present about what he/she has learned throughout the internship to use for future use and reference.
- Daily and weekly general office responsibilities
- Assisting with internal and external communication including writing and design
- Managing and maintaining online database
- Researching and collecting data
- Development outreach, including corporate volunteerism and corporate social responsibility (CSR) partnerships
- Recruiting and managing in-office volunteers and volunteer projects
- Assisting with larger scale corporate days of service
- Creating strategy for national volunteer engagement, recognition and culture of high impact volunteerism
- Performing other duties as needed.
- Communication Skills: Clearly and persuasively communicate, listen and seek clarifications; participate in meetings, write clearly and informatively.
- Initiative: Measure self against a standard of excellence. Undertake self-development activities and learn new skills; seek increased responsibilities and ask for and offer help when needed.
- Professionalism: Work well in a fast-paced environment; treat others with respect and consideration; accept responsibility for actions. Understand business implications of decisions, align work with strategic goals, complete business-related tasks and develop strategies to achieve organizational goals.
- Flexibility: Able to multitask in a changing work environment. Manage competing demands and unexpected events. Willing to change approach to best fit the situation.
- Detail Minded: Demonstrate accuracy and thoroughness; monitor own work to ensure quality and organization. Strong attention to detail while multitasking.
- Must be 18 years or older, enrolled and actively pursuing a Bachelor's or Master's Degree in a related field from an accredited college or university.
- Must have excellent written and verbal communication skills, ability to prioritize effectively, and attention to detail.
- Ability to multi-task, remain organized, and work in a fast-paced environment.
- Basic Knowledge of MS Office software including Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Candidates must understand the importance of confidentiality and discretion.
- Ideal candidates will have a passion for nonprofit work, volunteerism, and have a good sense of humor.
MDA is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.